Spring 1: April 3-May 12
Participants in this course will be introduced to a digital learning philosophy focused on desired student outcomes and based on the belief that instructional technology should be used as a transformative tool to maximize learning, and not simply to replicate traditional assignments and lessons. In addition to breaking down the walls of the classroom, digital learning tools can encourage student creation over consumption, provide students with more personalized learning experiences, allow for differentiated learning, and facilitate all three modes of communication. Each week, participants will discuss pedagogical strategies and consider novel approaches made possible or enhanced by a collection of apps, websites or other uses of educational technology. There will be a heavy emphasis on trying these strategies in the language classroom and reflecting on that experience. All assignments will be aligned to the ACTFL World-Readiness Standards for Learning Languages. (Open to teachers of any language grades 5-12. Conducted in English)
Burns, Monica. Tasks Before Apps: Designing Rigorous Learning in a Tech-Rich Classroom. Alexandria, VA: ASCD, 2018. Paperback ISBN: 978-1-4166-2466-0. Ebook ASIN: B076HBWB66.
Students who matriculate into an Instructor-Facilitated course should adhere to the dates listed on the website. Final coursework should be submitted within one week after the course end date. Course extensions beyond one week are subject to a $50 fee.
Course Delivery: Online weekly learning modules, collaborative discussion boards and instuctor feedback. This course is not self-paced.
- 60 Professional Development Points, CTLEs or ACT48: $540
- University of the Pacific: 3 Non-degree Graduate-Level Credits PEDD 9141 $875
- Colorado State University Pueblo: 3 Degree Applicable Graduate Credits: CLDE 591 WLM 502 USING DIGITAL TOOLS $900 (Satisfies the Instructional Technology Pedagogy Requirement)
- Southern New Hampshire University (SNHU): 3 Transferable Graduate-level Credits PDLL 514ID $955
- EDU 6130 Ashland University: (register and pay the university directly) $1050