Fall 2: October 23- December 15 (online)
The overall goal of this course is for teachers to learn strategies for developing reading, listening and audio-visual skills. Participants will find learning materials (including texts, social media, and videos) about the country and culture to prepare them for use in the classroom. At the end of each course teachers will complete a 3-week final project (Practical Exploration Project or PEP), in which the new theoretical approaches of the DLL unit are reviewed and assessed in the teacher’s own teaching practice. The Practical Exploration Project initiates changes in the classroom and helps to increase the professionalism of teachers. This course is conducted in German in partnership with the Goethe-Institut USA.
By the end of the course, the learner will submit a portfolio that demonstrates understanding and the ability to: Participants can describe their own teaching philosophy.
- Participants know the components of textbooks and their functions.
- Participants can gauge when they would like to use additional materials and can provide them for their target group.
- Participants know why and how learning material should be adapted.
- Participants know strategies for developing reading, listening, and audio-visual skills in the world language.
- Participants can find texts about the country and culture, and prepare them for use in the classroom.
- Participants are familiar with various social media and specific ways to use them in German lessons.
Pre-requisite: The entry requirement is German at level B2 in accordance with the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR) or Advanced Low ACTFL Proficiency Level. Please email "I would like to take a German language placement test for the Idioma course. Could you please send the link and information?" to teacherservice-newyork@goethe.
Students who matriculate into an Instructor-Facilitated course should adhere to the dates listed on the website. Final coursework should be submitted within one week after the course end date. Course extensions beyond one week are subject to a $50 fee.
Course Delivery: Online weekly learning modules, collaborative discussion boards and instuctor feedback. This course is not self-paced and has 4 live virtual sessions.
- 60 Professional Development Points, CTLEs ACT48: $540
University of the Pacific: 3 non-degree Graduate-level Credits: TBD
- Colorado State University Pueblo: 3 Degree Applicable Graduate Credits: TBD
Southern New Hampshire University (SNHU): 3 Transferable Graduate-level Credits: TBD
EDU 6130 Ashland University: (register and pay the university directly) TBD