SELF PACED COURSE WITH INSTRUCTOR FEEDBACK opens September 7 (with 3 optional Coaching Sessions)
Not sure which credit option to choose? Learn more about each credit option here and review your state/district requirements.
- Idioma Professional Development Certificate (accepted by most states)
- Approved Illinois CPDU Certificate through partnership with CEII
- Approved Massachusetts PDP Certificate
- Approved New York CTLE Certificate
- Approved Pennsylvania ACT48 Certificate
- Approved Texas CPE Certificate
Are you writing a World Languages Curriculum and want some guidance? Join other teachers to learn, collaborate and work through challenges. This 15-hour, asynchronous workshop will be facilitated by Amy St. Arnaud. Amy has written and updated curriculums for grades 6 - 12 to align to state standards, ACTFL and the Seal of Biliteracy. There will be three modules and you may register and work on them at any time. Each module will have an optional Google Meet as well as a discussion board to share ideas and challenges.
Proficiency-Based Instruction by Catherine Ritz and Christina Toro
The ACTFL Keys for Planning and Learning by Donna Clementi and Laura Terrill
Suggested Text to grow your professional Library. Note: these are not required to participate in the workshop but they will be referred to and should be consulted as you write your curriculum.
- The complete set of the ACTFL Keys
- The Understanding by Design Guide To Creating High-Quality Units by Grant Wiggins
- Understanding by Design by Grant Wiggins
- Culturally Responsive Teaching and the Brain by Zaretaa Hammond
- Words and Action, Teaching Languages through Social Justice by Glynn, Wesley, Wassell
- Key Questions in Second Language Acquisition by Vanpatten, Smith and Benati
- Common Ground: Second Language Acquisition Theory Goes to the Classroom by Henshaw and Hawkins
- A copy of your most recent State Standards. If your state does not have updated standards, you can use Massachusetts.
- A copy of the ACTFL standards
- Guides to UDL, SEL and Social Justice
Module 1: Introduction
In this module, participants will refresh their knowledge of second language acquisition and proficiency-based instruction. Sept 28, Oct 19 and Nov 9
Optional Google Meet on Sept 28th from 7:00am - 8:00am
Module 2: Providing input through Authentic Resources and meaningful, affirming interactions.
In this module, participants will discuss how to choose authentic resources for all levels as well as how learners process what they listen, read and view. Assessing the interpretive mode will also be discussed. Incorporating UDL SEL and Social Justice will be included.
Optional Google Meet on Oct 19th from 7:00am - 8:00am
Module 3: Interactions
In this module, participants will discuss activities to get students interacting and communicating in the target language. Assessing the Interpersonal and Presentational Mode will be discussed, as well as intercultural communication.
Optional Google Meet on Nov 9 from 7:00am - 8:00am