Fall 2023: September- December 2023
For communication in L2 to exist, students need something to talk about. In this course, the texts read like novels and are crafted especially for the novice learner not only to provide characters and a plot, but also the feeling of accomplishment once the chapter has been read. In this course, we will access the theory of comprehensible input via inductive texts to achieve competency in the target language, getting the most out of the reading, including culture, geography, food, social issues, etc. In Intensive Italian IV, students will use Italian to continue their exploration of Italian culture and geography and to complete their survey of Italian history. We shall begin an exploration of Italian literature and the short story, as well as a special emphasis on poetry ranging from Saint Francis to Alda Merini. There will be a strong focus on vocabulary acquisition and the development of reading fluency. Via the portfolio project, students are encouraged to tie the target language and culture back to existing certifications in order to create personalized bridges that promote individualized professional development. Conducted in Italian, as a language immersion experience.
In person sessions will be offered at Portsmouth High School with Joseph Marquette. Days and Times to be determined.
By the end of this course, participants will have the opportunity to:
Develop a working knowledge of advanced intermediate and introduction to advanced Italian with an emphasis on;
- extensive consideration of verb families
- idiomatic expression
- vocabulary development
- review of verb tenses
- review of advanced grammars
- In-depth consideration of important aspects of Italian history and culture
- Survey of major developments in Italian poetry from Francis of Assisi to Alda Merini
- Portfolio development of personalized professional interests centered around Italian and language pedagogy
- Recommended Italian cinema.
- 3 Graduate Credits:
- CLDE 591 ITAL 505 CSU Pueblo: $1200
- 60 Professional Development Hours: $900